Sunday, November 19, 2006

33rd sunday in ordinary time

It is interesting to spot a thread that connects the propers in the liturgy. The collects speak about eternal life. The propers speak about praying without ceasing, and God's assurance that He will hear us. And the Gospel speaks about Him coming in glory. Look at what we lose if we ditch them for hymns arbitrarily chosen!

Ergo, We are taught in this Sunday to pray without ceasing, so that one day we may be with Him in the glory of eternal life.

In today's Introit, we have the following
The Lord said, "I am pondering thoughts of peace and not of affliction; you shall call upon me and I will hear you; and I will bring you back from all the lands where you are held captive."
and what do we call upon him in the Collect? From Fr Z
Grant unto us, we beg thee, O Lord our God, always to rejoice in your devotion, for happiness is perpetual and full, if we serve constantly the author of good things.
We ask in the Prayer over the Gifts that
acquire for us the effect of a happy eternity
The Alleluia Verse and Offertory verse reminds us of a very common attitude we must have when praying,
Out of the depths I have cried to you O Lord, Lord hear my voice/prayer.
Yet, the Gospel in year B assures us of
"And then they will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power"
and the Introit comes to mind,
"you shall call upon me and I will hear you"
We are reminded again in the Communion antiphon that
Amen, I say to you whatever you ask in your prayers, believe that you shall receive it, and it shall be granted unto you.
and of course, God gives us what we need, not what we want, and our aim is to be close to Him in heaven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home