Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Liturgical Abuses

A Sunday never passes without attending a Mass where I can spot some liturgical abuse. One Sunday it was some weird text in place of the Gloria, another Sunday it was children standing around the altar during the Our Father, and the Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion approaching the altar too early.

There is a limit to how many complaints I can make. So far I've made only one, and I pondered over it for some time before writing. There are other more pressing tasks to do, like making up for the wretched catechesis that I received in my younger days by doing the necessary reading.

I try my very best to be positive about it all. I've told myself, no point getting vexed at Mass, for I can't be spending all my time making complaints. Might as well just focus on what the Mass really is, like the example Fr Z is giving to all of us. If things are so bad, then the only way it can go from now is up.

1 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, Blogger G. Thomas Fitzpatrick said...

That sort of frustration led me to two solutions. First, early morning Mass on Sunday, where there are many fewer variations from the rubrics.

Second, occasional attendance at the Boston indult Mass at Holy Trinity church, which is said in strict accordance with the rebrics of the 1962 Missal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home